Tottenham midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg has called on manager Antonio Conte to clarify his recent outburst in which he criticised the club’s players and owner Daniel Levy. Conte unleashed a scathing attack on his team following their draw with Southampton. Conte cited Tottenham’s lack of success over the past two decades under Levy’s ownership.
Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg Responds
Hojbjerg, who was the first player to respond to Conte’s comments, admitted that the Italian was not satisfied with the team’s performances. Though he called on him to provide further detail about his grievances. The Denmark international stressed the importance of having 11 committed players to succeed. Hojbjerg suggested that Conte needed to be more precise in his feedback.
Conte’s rant has been widely discussed in the media. Many questioned whether such public criticism of his players was even appropriate. Hojbjerg refused to judge his manager’s behaviour, but acknowledged that “sometimes the waves go high in football.”
The midfielder went on to emphasise his commitment to the team, stating that he always gives 100% for the club. Hojbjerg, who joined Tottenham in 2020, is currently in his third season with the club. He was part of the team that crashed out of both the Champions League and FA Cup earlier this month.
Spurs Sacking Antonio Conte
Antonio Conte’s future as Tottenham’s manager is in doubt after he made an explosive post-match outburst following their 3-3 draw against Southampton on Saturday. Reports suggest that he could be sacked within the week. Majority of the Spurs hierarchy now deems his position in the dugout untenable.
Furthermore, his relationship with chairman Daniel Levy is believed to be beyond repair. Conte is said to have lost the dressing room and has been criticized for his management style and the club’s style of play. The Spurs chairman is now considering viable options to replace him, including former manager Mauricio Pochettino.
Conte is said to have already been very unpopular with a number of senior players, and it is now understood that he has completely lost the dressing room. Despite maintaining their push to finish in the Champions League places, his future at the club has looked increasingly uncertain. Particularly after Spurs exited the FA Cup and Champions League in quick succession earlier this month.
Spurs’ Chairman, Daniel Levy, is now weighing up the viable options to replace Conte, with Ryan Mason being considered to take over as an interim manager while Mauricio Pochettino remains keen to return on a permanent basis.
Conte’s future at Tottenham is reportedly in doubt following the team’s recent struggles, with Levy expected to make a decision on his position in the coming days.