The Premier League has charged Manchester City FC with multiple breaches of its rules, according to a recent statement.
Premier League has charged Manchester City FC with multiple breaches of its rules, including:
- 50 counts for providing inaccurate financial information
- 8 counts for alleged breaches in relation to manager remuneration from 2009-13
- 12 counts for breaches in relation to player remuneration between 2010-16
- 5 breaches linked to UEFA financial regulations
- 25 profitability and sustainability breaches
- 30 breaches of obstructing the Premier League’s investigation which began in March 2019.
The Premier League will appoint an independent judicial panel, selected and chaired by Murray Rosen KC, to examine Manchester City’s case and deliver a final decision. The panel will hold private hearings and, according to Premier League rules, keep the proceedings confidential. The Premier League will publish the final award on its website and will refrain from making any comments until the proceedings conclude.
BREAKING: Man City charged by Premier Leaue with numerous breaches of financial rules following a four-year investigation.— Martyn Ziegler (@martynziegler) February 6, 2023
This is unprecedented: pic.twitter.com/ZGzdX210qP
As this is new territory for Manchester City and English football, there is little precedent to refer to when it comes to punishments.
The Premier League’s W.51 rule allows the following punishments for rule breaches:
- Reprimand the Respondent.
- Impose a fine, unlimited in amount, and suspend any part thereof.
- Suspend the Respondent from playing in League Matches or other competitions for a defined period.
- Deduct points scored or to be scored in League Matches or other defined matches.
- Order the Board to replay a League Match or other match.
- Recommend expulsion of the Respondent from membership.
- Order the Respondent to pay unlimited compensation to any person or club.
- Cancel or refuse the registration of a player registered or attempted to be registered in contravention of these Rules.
- Impose any combination of the aforementioned penalties or other penalties.
- Make any penalty conditional, including imposing the penalty unless a defined action is taken by the Respondent within a defined period of time.
- Order the Respondent to pay a sum towards costs, including the fees and expenses of members of the Commission.
- Make any other order as deemed fit.
Man City response:
Manchester City FC issued a statement in response to the charges, stating their surprise at the allegations and the issuing of the breaches:
Manchester City FC is surprised by the issuing of these alleged breaches of the Premier League Rules, particularly given the extensive engagement and vast amount of detailed materials that the EPL has been provided with. The Club welcomes the review of this matter by an independent Commission, to impartially consider the comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence that exists in support of its position. As such we look forward to this matter being put to rest once and for all.Man City Website
In conclusion, Manchester City FC faces multiple charges and potential punishments as a result of alleged breaches of the Premier League rules. An independent judicial panel will examine the case and hold private hearings. The club prepares to defend itself and eagerly awaits the resolution of the matter. Manchester City remains focused on its upcoming matches and continues to strive for success on and off the field.